Skip to main navigation Skip to main content Skip to page footer

Misión de Santa Gertrudis La Magna

founded by Jorge Retz 1752 - 1822

The Mission of Santa Gertrudis La Magna was founded in 1752 by Father Georg Retz in the land of the Cochimí.

 

Already before the first establishment was laid, the Jesuit explorer Fernando Consag (Ferdinand Konščat) had discovered this region and built a provisional chapel, as well as premises for the soldiers. With the founding of the mission a definite church was constructed. A watering system and a well helped to cultivate crops, olives, dates, figs and vine. The isolated location made this mission less prone to epidemics. However, in 1822 under the administration of the Dominicans monks, the mission closed out of lack of population.

The remains of the stone walls and watering canals witness the original mission having being intensively restored since 1997. 

Nº 804

Misión de Santa Gertrudis La Magna
founded by Jorge Retz
1752 - 1822

3 uniques on BFK Rives on canvas on frame 71 x 71 cm

 

Nº 804

Misión de Santa Gertrudis La Magna
founded by Jorge Retz
1752 - 1822

3 uniques on BFK Rives 300 g on frame 50 x 50 cm
 

Nº 804

Misión de Santa Gertrudis La Magna
founded by Jorge Retz
1752 - 1822

5 uniques on Rives-paperstock 35 x 35 cm
 

Nº 804

Misión de Santa Gertrudis La Magna
founded by Jorge Retz
1752 - 1822

4 uniques on BFK Rives 300 g on frame 27 x 27 cm